|Published on Thu, 20 Feb 2020 17:11|
There are two seasons each year that are primarily about getting ready to come closer to the reality of God in Jesus Christ. The first is Advent, as we prepare for Christmas. The second is Lent, a time to prepare ourselves for Easter and the joyous reality of Jesus' resurrection.
As Christians who follow Jesus in the way of the Episcopal Church, we believe that our individual practices and experiences of faith are shaped by what we do together, as a community of faith. This Lent you are invited to join with us at St. C's to practice Lent, as we prepare together to come close to mystery of the cross and the joy and wonder of Easter.
Here are some of the many ways you are invited to go deeper in your faith practice with us this Lent.
- Practice Worship. beginning with one of our three Ash Wednesday Services, offered at 7am, noon, and 6:30pm Wednesday Feb 26th. Join us Sundays to experience new practices in worship, invitations to meditate and interact with prayer stations, and to reflect deeply together during this special season. Mark your calendar for Holy Week and the Triduum.
- Practice Prayer. Morning Prayer returns at St. C's, every weekday in Lent. Come once, or once a week, or every day Monday-Friday at 7am to experience a the daily, communal practice of prayer. Click here for more info.
- Practice Service. Sign up for one or more nights of providing hospitality of presence for our ReachOut men's shelter, with us every night in March. Click here for more information, and to sign up.
- Practice Listening. This Lent as a congregation we will begin to listen and learn about race, beginning with the book "So You Want To Talk About Race," by Ijeoma Oluo. This simple and accessible book is a starting place for those of us who are uncomfortable with talking about race, but know this is an area where we need to listen, and learn how to speak. Get the book, let's read it together....
- Practice Community. Let's talk about race together, with Ijeoma Oluo's book as our guide. We will be putting together one or more discussion groups, to meet weekly during Lent to talk about the book. Click here to sign up for one, and to learn more about these community groups.
- Practice Reconciliation. The Rite of Reconciliation will be offered to any who wish to do it during the season of Lent. Click here to learn more, and to let our clergy know you would like to schedule a time.